Full versions of the select stories from our newspaper are available online to online subscribers. Click the Subscriptions tab for more information. 

Look Back in History Homeless railroad men find refuge in Thompson Club YMCA

By: 
Carol Van Boxtel

Kaukauna Public Library archive photo — The Thompson YMCA pictured from 1957-1962. Located on Second Street where the parking lot for the Municipal building is located. Note Berg’s Dry Cleaners in the background, now the site of the Kaukauna skateboard park.
The Chicago & Northwestern Railroad came through the north side of Kaukauna in 1862 giving Kaukauna direct communication with the Chicago market. By 1870 there were two large flour mills, two large factories, Diedrich Sawmill, and Reuter Brothers Spoke Factory located on the island. The business boom caused the Milwaukee, Lakeshore & Western Railroad (MLS&W Ry) to build tracks through the south side area along the river. The MLS&W Ry was designed as a manufacturer’s railroad rather than an agriculture line.
Once the superintendent of the MLS&W Ry noted the continued building of mills and companies along the river, he decided to move the railroad’s headquarters from Manitowoc to the south side of Kaukauna. At the time, the heavily forested south side consisted of a small flag depot and several farmhouses. Two hundred railroad families moved from Manitowoc to the south side of Kaukauna, causing a housing shortage. Railroad families quickly occupied the few hotels and boarding houses. A large number of single railroad men moving to the area could not find housing. In 1892, the Thompson Club YMCA was erected to the east of the south side depot. It was a gift from F. Thompson of New York City, who was a major stockholder in the ML&W Ry Company. The board of directors of which Dr. Tanner was president, formed an association committee to operate the Thompson Club YMCA of which C. J. Maes and A. D. Maes were put in charge.
In 1872, the first railroad YMCA in America was organized in Cleveland as a partnership between the YMCA and railroad companies to provide overnight lodging and a meeting place for railroads. The workers could not afford to stay at a hotel and usually paid for a bed at a tavern or boarding house of questionable values. Drinking and fights were common occurrences, especially on the weekend when many ended up in jail.
The YMCA mission was to meet the physical, mental, social and other needs of the railroad men. In order to bring about changes in the railroad men, the committee felt that the YMCA must engage communities in three areas of impact, youth development, healthy living and social responsibilities.
The Thompson Club YMCA built on Second Street in Kaukauna was an immediate success and the board of directors which included A.M. Zimmerman, president; Ferdinand Kowalke, treasurer; E.S. Glass, Secretary; Dr. H.B. Tanner, Charles Hartley, George Fulton, William Cambier, John Fredenell and C.H. Cordel, decided to enlarge the clubhouse. In 1899, a 30x90 foot addition was added for a cost of $7,000 ($102,941 today). The money was raised through donations from citizens as well as the Northwestern Railroad. Cornelius Leenbouts, architect, bid out the jobs for plaster work, marble work, steam heat and plumbing. Joseph Baily from the northside was awarded the plumbing contract. When the addition was completed, two nights of festivities were held to celebrate the expansion, with music provided by the Nugent-Chamberlain Trio.
The Thompson Club YMCA main room was used for various meetings, gymnastics and educational classes. The association committee set up classes in electrical power, machinery and the practical application of air brakes. Debate teams were organized, bible classes were held and help in writing letters was provided. An orchestra was formed, and the men practiced twice a week. The bowling alley was a great hit. The basement housed a first-class bathroom with three tubs and shower. Under the leadership of Supervisor Charles Puehler, the club had coffee, meals, beds, baths, games and all the latest magazines for the railroad men who were from out of town. Membership to use the facilities was $3 ($88 today) per year.
On Jan. 3, 1901, the junior department of the Thompson Club YMCA was organized. Blair Hartley was named president and his brother Ralph Hartley was vice president. George Krahn was the secretary and Harold Tanner was treasurer. The junior division held meetings twice a week in the afternoon after school. The meetings consisted of exercise and games.
The Junior YMCA members went to “Camp Winnebago” located on the north shore of Lake Winnebago in July 1901. This 20-acre camp provided five tents for 15 boys from Kaukauna. The boys enjoyed boating, fishing and swimming with a campfire at night.
In 1904, the State Young Men’s Christian Association of Wisconsin yearly report on the Thompson Club YMCA stated, “Our present membership is 160 and we have an average attendance of 200 men daily using our rooms. Over 51,000 lunches and meals were served in our lunchroom and 3,000 letters written home.” The revenue from the room rent for the year was $7,167 ($199,083 today). By now Ray Paschen was in charge of running the YMCA.
Over the years the Thompson Club YMCA bowling alley had become quite successful. During the busy season more than 40 games a day were bowled netting a profit of $153 ($4,250 today) a month. The association committee decided to enlarge the present bowling alley in the basement. At the same time Dr. Tanner and Mr. Hartley owned the Princess Bowling Alley located next to Haas Hardware on Third Street and decided to sell the bowling alley. The business was losing money due to the competition from the other local bowling alleys. The association committee purchased the Princess Bowling Alley with three bowling lanes. The committee moved the building and attached it to the rear of the Thompson Club building. An entrance was made through the reading room.
Later in 1929 fire of unknown origin caused a great deal of damage to the south side depot. While the depot was being repaired a temporary ticket office and waiting room was set up in the Thompson Club YMCA.
Once the railroad moved its headquarters out of Kaukauna, attendance at the Thompson Club YMCA dropped sharply. The clubhouse became a place for retired railroad employees who enjoyed playing cards, smoking and visiting. The Thompson Club YMCA continued as a clubroom until the 1960s when the city purchased the property and the building was demolished. Today the site is part of the parking lot for the Kaukauna Municipal Building.